The course is recommended for anyone who works in any sector of the tourism and hospitality industry.
CBP – Tourism And Hospitality
The CBP™ Tourism and Hospitality Certification provides the business or tourism professional with working knowledge of the essential concepts and skills required for developing, operating and sustaining a tourism industry.
It is geared towards persons interested in ensuring that tourism projects are not only successful but
longstanding. As such, it introduces basic concepts and issues in the industry and explores the different ways to plan, implement a profitable tourism project and improve and resolve issues associated with existing tourism projects or industries.
As well, this course looks at the philosophies involved in tourism marketing, managing customer relationships and maximizing the human capital of your organization.
Finally, the course looks at issues of professional development which are essential for success in this dynamic industry.
At the end of this course, it is anticipated that participants would have garnered the basic and essential skills, knowledge and expertise to make them industry-aware, customer-focused and hence successful tourism professionals!
The CBP™ Tourism and Hospitality Certification covers a wide range of topics in the tourism industry such as the business of tourism, developing and supplying tourism demand, types of tourism, tourism management, marketing, hospitality, customer service and communication skills in tourism. It also covers emerging issues in tourism like tourist safety and security.
This course requires that students meet the following prerequisites:
- The candidate must have a commitment to the pursuit of excellence.
- The candidate must have completed a high school or secondary school diploma or similar educational standards.
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION TO TOURISM
- What is Tourism
- The Tourism System
MODULE 2: BUSINESS OF TOURISM
- Tourism Resources
- Industries affected by Tourism
- Marketing and Advertising
- Hotel / Accommodations
- Real Estate
- Medical & Emergency Services
- Police Services and the Law
- Waste Management
MODULE 3: DEMAND FOR TOURISM
- Demand for Tourism
- Population Travel propensity
- Determinants of Travel Propensity
- Tourist Demand Classification
- Financial Aspects of Tourism Demand
- Tourist Motivation
- Factors preventing persons from tourist
- Ways of Measuring Tourism Demand
MODULE 4: TYPES OF TOURISM
- Types of Tourism
- Theme Parks
- Cultural and Entertainment
- Mountain Regions
- Hotels / Resorts
- Events and Conferences
MODULE 5: TOURISM MANAGEMENT
- Financial Management
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing Management
- Operations Management
- Risk Management
MODULE 6: HOSPITALITY AND TOURISM
- Hospitality – the key sustaining ingredient
- What Makes Good Hospitality
- Benefits of Hospitality in Tourism
- Ways of Expressing Hospitality
- Where is Hospitality needed in our tourism industry?
- Transportation Hospitality
- Airline Hospitality
- Cruise Ship Hospitality
- Car Rental Hospitality
- Accommodation Hospitality
- Restaurant Hospitality
MODULE 7: CUSTOMER SERVICE IN TOURISM
- What Is Customer Service?
- Developing a Customer-Centric Mindset
- Who Are Your Customers?
- External Customers
- When & Where Does Customer Service Take Place?
- The Need for Customer Service
- What Does Customer Service Mean To You?
- Developing a Customer Friendly Attitude
- Excitement is Contagious
MODULE 8: COMMUNICATION SKILLS IN TOURISM
- Developing Effective Communication Skills
- Non-Verbal Communication Skills
- Body Language
- Key Body Language Aspects
- Eye Contact
- Facial Expressions
- Body Posture
- Verbal Communication Skills
- The Choice of Words
- Cross-Cultural Challenges
- Responsibility of the Cross-CulturaL Communicator
- Presenting a Professional Image
MODULE 9: CALMING UPSET TOURISTS
- What Makes Tourists Upset?
- Avoiding Upsets
- What Can You Do To Avoid Upsets?
- 5 Key Steps to Calming Upset Tourists
- Step 1: Listen and let the tourist express themselves
- Step 2: Respond POSITIVELY, not negatively
- Step 3: Empathize with the tourist
- Step 4: Determine a tourist-acceptable solution to the problem
- Step 5: Don’t forget to follow-up – Very important!
- Calming Yourself
- What to Do When You Are Upset
MODULE 10: WORLD TOURISM ORGANIZATION
(WTO) Global Code of Ethics
- Tourism’s contribution to mutual understanding and respect between peoples and societies
- Tourism as a vehicle for individual and collective fulfillment
- Tourism, a factor of sustainable development
- Tourism, a user of the cultural heritage of mankind and a contributor to its enhancement
- Tourism, a beneficial activity for host countries and communities
- Obligations of stakeholders in tourism development
- Right to tourism
- Liberty of tourist movements
- Rights of the workers and entrepreneurs in the tourism industry
MODULE 11: TOURIST SECURITY & SAFETY
- Travel Preparation
- Other Pre-travel Security Measures
- At the airport
- Travel between Airport and Hotel
- At your Accommodation/hotel
- Steps to a successful personal security program
- International Travel Security
- Personal Security for Long Visits
- Personal Travel Safety
MODULE 12: TOURISM GLOSSARY
MODULE 13: TOURISM STATISTICS AS A GLANCE
The CBP Tourism and Hospitality student guide covers the following tourism topics:
- Introduction to Tourism
- The Business of Tourism
- Demand for Tourism
- Types of Tourism
- Tourism Management
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Customer Service in Tourism
- Communication Skills in Tourism
- Calming Upset Tourists
- WTO Global Code of Ethics
- Tourism Security and Safety
- Tourism Glossary and Statistics